2.22.2010

The Hall Mirror - From Junky to Fabulous

So a few posts back I showed you a mirror I found for $38.
It was huge, and heavy, with a gorgeous beveled edge mirror set in a really unattractive, damaged pink frame.




So I bought it, even though I was not quite sure what I was going to do with it  
(this happens around here a lot!).
It sat in the storage room until a twitter buddy, onhomedecor, posted a link to this pic


What a great idea for an accent wall.
  For a twist, you could use old atlases, photography books, botanical journals, whatever tickles your fancy... It's simple to do, just make sure you put up a dry strippable wallpaper underneath (so you can remove it down the road), and use a layer of wallpaper paste underneath and on top of each page, saturating it completely.

So how does this relate to the mirror?
I decided to decoupage the frame.  
Off to the local sally Ann, where I found this vintage beauty -




This was my favourite story as a kid - all I wanted was a life of adventure - my children are the same way, fascinated by geography and always wanting to learn about life in other places.
as a book lover, I felt really torn (no pun intended!)  about destroying this book, but just kept telling myself that I was actually preserving it, in a way...
out came the first page...




no turning back!
I arranged the pages around the frame roughly where I wanted them,
got the modge-podge out, and a stiff brush.




This took a suprisingly long time, but after I finished and it dried out for a day,
 we hung the mirror in our entry way - over a simple bench my Dad made for me.













































I am so happy with it! I feel like it tells a little story about us when you enter into our home, and thats what decorating is all about.  I always try to explain to Staging Clients the difference between decorating and staging - one is personalizing your home, and the other is de-personalizing your home. Personalizing is definitely more enjoyable, but staging helps other people to see themselves living in your space.

here are few more pics for inspiration - sorry, I'm not sure where they all came from, they were in a forgotten corner of my picture files!








Have you ever done anything like this? I'd love to see your creations!

til next time...
Pin It Now!

10 comments:

Louise said...

That is such an inspired idea - it looks fabulous! xx

Gina said...

Hi - I just stumbled upon your blog, and I really like it. :)

Danny Brown said...

Ha, what an awesome idea, Anne-Marie - really like how the mirror came out when you set the printed pages on the frame. May have to try that myself - cheers! :)

Anne-Marie @ 10 Rooms said...

thanks for the encouragement guys! now I'm carrying my modge-podge around the house looking for the next victim...

Kristy @ Online Home Decorating said...

I luurve the way you overlapped some of the pages, so there's still a book-like quality to it. Smashing! (Maybe the wrong adjective for a mirror project... sorry.) By the way, it cracks me up how even the dog is looking at the mirror like "WOW, that's an ugly pink frame!"

Brenda said...

So Beautiful!
I love it!

Meredith said...

love it! i would never think to buy the pink mirror in the first place. i need to start thinking MORE outside the box!!

Vivienne said...

Lindsay made a great book page wreath - here http://livingwithlindsay.com/2009/11/librarians-please-avert-your-eyes.html

Viv

Natasha said...

This mirror is beautiful :D maybe I'll make one myself
And such a cute dog

Young Cat Lady said...

I did this exact same thing to one wall in my room :D
http://claudinescrafts.blogspot.com/2010/07/room.html

Love the frame!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...