1.08.2011

Color Post: How Saturation Save The Mix

This spring your wardrobe will more than likely contain pieces like this:






Solid or striped these juicy, saturated hues in unusual combinations offer up a new take on color.
These combinations are about freedom and happiness, something sorely needed for many right now.
Pairing this luscious color with white or black will keep the look from overwhelming the eye.


The stripes of spring make me think of Missoni, who have been doing this for years:


source 1 2 3 4 5



So what makes this work?
First off all, remember my post about Clean and Dirty Color 
and be sure to keep all hues equal - in this case, clean.
Next you need to consider saturation.

The saturation of a color refers to the dominance of hue in a color.
A highly saturated color will contain little or no white, black, grey or it's complement.
The grey scale, running from black to white with all the greys in between, are considered desaturated.



How does all this relate to the color clash trend?

Here's that color mixing secret:

If you use clean colors that are highly saturated
 you can mix and match freely.


source 1 2 3


Although not for everyone, this is one look that can't help but make you smile :)
If you tend to have a neutral palette, try working in bits of color..
and see what a change this brings to your space.




Pin It Now!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Fabulous post Anne-Marie. A great lesson in colour and you know me, I'm all for brightly saturated colour- though I do love a little soft pink as well:) xo

Edwina@FASHION+ART said...

I did the big color thing back in the 80's. The first image in the black trousers and multi-layers of color would have been me. Much more neutral now but still love to see it. These interiors are poppin'!

Unknown said...

WOW! Great post full of info...I might need to to do a guest post about this :)

Unknown said...

Lovely!! I'm definitely a fan of some colour in a room haha And these rooms are definitely gorgeous inspiration!

Captivated by image said...

What a fabulous post this is, love it! Never thought of colors and saturation anywhere else than in photoshop but this makes me think. Thanks! Love the interior images, so bright and happy.

Abby M. Interiors said...

Love cover and AMAZING post! I am always deciding between fashion or home--where to spend my money?
abby

Cynthia Fox-Giddens said...

Lots of fabulous colors in fashion and home design. Talk about a pop of color, this is it!

Jessica Wrasman said...

Gorgeous innovative designs. I love the bright green/purple combo. Post-80's fabulous!

Karena said...

Anne Marie I love the last image and the wonderful color tips!!

I do have A Great New Giveaway from Blydesign!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Choo Choo said...

Love how trends in fashion trickle down to our living spaces. Those green stools in the last image -I want!

Unknown said...

Good! Read more lich bong da hom nay here!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...