4.27.2011

Yea or Nay: Collections





When it comes to accessories there are collectors and non-collectors.






Non- collectors are fairly obvious.
Their accessories are limited and reflect the current design scheme,
 because they are changed out to reflect the decor..
They do not easily feel sentimental attachment to inanimate objects which means
they live blissfully unencumbered by third grade essays and heirloom silver tea services.
Friends will help move them!






Collectors may be more difficult to spot...
but just because there isn't racks of silver spoons hanging around
doesn't mean that they don't have a stash somewhere!
(not that I would know anything about that :)
A large amount of these bits and bobs usually results in
them becoming being the focal point of the room.







Being the daughter of a serial collector
(Mum blames it on being a child of the depression but I know better,
she is a nurturer of lost souls! 
She "adopts" these things, brings them home and loves them.)
I have an aversion to clutter.

However, it seems that an alarming number of milk glass pieces have snuck into the house,
our art collection is cherished, and I'm hard pressed to let go of a book..
After recently watching three back to back episodes of hoarders
(have you seen this show? I was ASTOUNDED)
I was overcome by a compulsion to run down to the crawlspace and clean it all out!

There is a fine line between display and clutter.
But...
homes without accessories are sometimes lacking in personality, no?
And if accessories are grouped and displayed artfully, they are enchanting.






So where is the balance?
What do you do in your home?

Live with what you love?






Invest in one or two exquisite pieces rather than several?







Display proudly?




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10


Since I am the chief duster around here,
 I am going to try and limit my own collecting to art :)


(and maybe a few books!)








Pin It Now!

17 comments:

Layers and Layers said...

another brilliant post! I lie somewhere in the middle. I think having a husband who would probably go to the NO extreme keeps me in check. BUT I adore chatchkas and have a few collections on the go. I do pack them up and change them out and then next time they come out they are in a totally different arrangement and place ... keeps it fresh and interesting.

Mel said...

I lean to the minimalist method.

I admire those that have the patience to scope out just the right items for a collection. I'm usually bored with or totally over anything, once I have more than one :)

laxsupermom said...

I think I'm decidedly in the middle. I collect perfume bottles, but keep my collection in my bedroom where I like to see it first thing in the morning. I think large collections displayed well like on the wall pedestals can look fantastic, but collections can quickly overwhelm a room and become clutter.

There was a discussion on the Gardenweb Home Decorating forum about the "layered look". Lines were drawn in the sand with some horrified by the amount of clutter and others defending it as a "look" since everything was grouped and dust free. I was in the my skin is crawling and nose is itching wanting to sneeze camp, but to each his own.

Great post. Thanks for sharing.

Mona thompson said...

Great post, Ann Marie. I love beautiful accessories and collections but editing is key. Most of these are just way too much for me. Mona

Heather (love your space) said...

funny small-blog-world moment. Do you read Design Crisis? These ladies are hilarious, and posted about just this issue today. http://design-crisis.com/

I am not a collector. Meaning, I do not have mass groupings of particular things. I seem to just collect stuff in general. I also never understand how people can cover all their surfaces with collections--don't they need someplace to put the stuff they actually need to USE? It baffles my mind.

Heather

Carissa @ the Fabulous Design File said...

I go in phases. Collect, collect, collect, purge. I probably tend more toward collecting... I totally get sentimental about things. But then after a certain point the clutter drives me crazy and I have to give a bunch of stuff away. Just to make room to start collecting again!

tina - Half Of What I Say said...

Love this post, and the great images that accompany it! I am a collector, but I tend not to acquire vast quantities. Just those special pieces I obsess over. With shoes however, another story.

Carol@TheDesignPages said...

I am an avid non-collector. When we lived in Toronto we lived in smallish homes and I learned to purge, purge and purge. I do love to accessorize but happily change it up and donate the oldies. I have to admit that I do love a collection though. It's so personal and brings warmth to a home.

rosa @ flutterflutter said...

What a beautiful blog! Just found you, and can't wait to check it all out!! I am like minimal accessories that have a history.

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

v.cool post darl! its such a fine line between a good thing and an insanely bad thing isnt it. some people have the eye and some dont!

orchidlanedecor.com said...

What a great post! I've been watching that hoarders show also, and it certainly makes me want to throw out EVERYTHING. I feel for some of those people, and especially for the families who have to live with them. I do like a nice collection however, especially if has sentimental value. Just not dusy, covered in grime, or disguising the odd dead pet!

Suzy xxx

Anne-Marie @ 10 Rooms said...

K, that design crisis post was hilarious, if you haven't go check it out! thanks Heather! Thanks for all the comments ladies, glad to hear your opinions... seems people are passionate about this one!

Edwina said...

I collect boxes and containers mostly made of wood, enamel, stone, metal. I also have a huge collection of matchbooks (thanks for the idea using the glass canisters) and wine bottles on window sills. One collection I haven't figured out how to display yet is my shopping bags. I have scores from stores all over. Any ideas?

Anonymous said...

I'm a big a fan of indulgence. You can never have to much of the thing you love.

Unknown said...

Hoarders scares me. Can't watch it.

I like to display my favourite things. I'm definitely not a minimalist, but I don't like a cluttered look either.

Villa Bisono said...

This is a gorgeous post! Love collecting and apprecicate people that have their own collections!

Just found your blog and love it.

xoxo
Maurenice
www.villa-bisono.com

leticia@galsintheknow.blogspot.com/ said...

I do love the globe collection and the display of hats.Love your blog as well!

Thanks!
Leticia

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...