6.17.2011

yay or nay: turtle shells




I love Bunny Williams.

Like, L O V E.
She's up there with Murial Brandolini, Kelly Wearstler and Suzanne Dimma...

 This one vignette from her Dominican Republic home haunts me...







Now that's a beach house!

I want those leopard chairs.
I love the size and presence of the mirror, 
perfectly juxtaposed with the delicate side chair.

but most of all, it's that giant turtle shell I think about...









tortoiseshell is one of my all-time faves for fashion
(this springs latest sunglasses and watch purchase speak for themselves, and I'm eyeing that bracelet..)








but while I appreciate the patina and sculptural beauty of actual shells -
 do they veer too closely to the creepy world of taxidermy?




1 2 3 4 5 6 7 




What do you all think?

yay or nay?










(and ps. if you are a yay, you can buy one here or here)




Pin It Now!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

wow yes those leopard chairs are gorgeous

Carissa @ the Fabulous Design File said...

Yikes! I get creeped out by anything that still looks like an animal... antlers - NO, cowhides - NO, taxidermy - HUGE NO!!! ... so unfortunately the turtle shell falls into that category for me. (I know that it's kind of un-sophisticated of me, but I just can't get past it!) Love the mirror and the chairs, though!

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

No, I don't think they're creepy at all. They're sculptural and textural and natural - the perfect accessory!

Unknown said...

A little creepy... and I'd hate to think of an animal being killed just for its shell. Natural death, a-okay. Or if they are non-endangered-killed-for-food, even better. But how do you know where the turtle shell came from?

Gloria said...

I'll wrap it around my wrist or put in on my face before you can blink your eye! When it comes to the decor, I guess it depends on context. Some of those room are INNNcredible, but i don't know, it might make me sad to see and empty shell in my own home.
Maybe I'll get a living giant tortoise let him wander around and call it "living decor", you know, like a plant. And then I'll paint his shell turquoise and name him Turquoise Tortoise.

The enchanted home said...

That room is goregous and I will happily take a pair of the leopard charis too! Gorgeous.....love tortise anything but prefer faux tortise. To see a real tortise frankly freaks me out and I wouldn't be able to have it as decor..ugh!
Faux tortise anything however..I love!

Cynthia Fox-Giddens said...

Have to say nay on this look. Just can't imagine the poor turtle's life in order to display their shells.

Barbara Matson said...

Nay for turtle shells.

The Simply Inspired Home said...

Nay, I find them Creepy...

Sharlotte said...

I'm going to have to say Nay...if the market increases for them, the "live" turtles will be killed for their shells...they are already endangered.

Anne-Marie @ 10 Rooms said...

wowsas! A little conversation has been stirred by these turtle shells!! I always assumed these came from dead turtles, naive - I know. On that note, I'd never buy a real one, but I really wish someone was making replicas!

Unknown said...

I love tortoiseshell accessories, but I don't know if I'd want a turtle shell in my home. But in the right space, they can definitely make an impact!

Ramblings of a Redhead said...

Sharlotte has a good point. I think ONE shell (replica) would be ok, but like with anything, too much can be a bad thing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...